At every level:
The Warheads to Windmills campaign is about putting pressure on the companies that make nuclear weapons and drill for fossil fuels. These companies are complicit in creating the emergencies we now face. But they are also spending millions of dollars on lobbying and election campaigns to make sure our government does not do what is needed to adequately address these emergencies. This means we need to be urging individuals, businesses, faith communities, schools, organizations, cities and states to:
- Divest from both fossil fuels and nuclear weapons.
- Boycott these companies – stop giving them your money!
- Refuse to work for, buy from, sell to, or contract with, these companies – until they change their course.
But doing these things on their own will have minimal effect on the companies themselves unless we tell them why we are doing it. Divestment and boycott campaigns are effective primarily because companies DO NOT LIKE BAD PUBLICITY.
- Write to the CEOs, board members and other people in these companies to explain our actions and demand they change their course.
- Engage in shareholder action and other activities to raise awareness within these companies and put pressure on them.
- Chase these companies on social media and at their premises to draw attention to what they are doing.