Chapter 225 – NUCLEAR-FREE ZONE
[HISTORY: Adopted by the Council of the City of Jersey City 9-12-1985 as Ord. No. C-30. Amendments noted where applicable.]
225-1. – Definitions.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
NUCLEAR-FREE ZONE – Defined by the following requirements:
- No nuclear weapons, delivery systems for such weapons or components expressly intended to contribute to the operation, guidance or delivery of a nuclear weapon shall be produced or stored within the city or its port.
- No waste from the production of nuclear weapons, their components or commercial nuclear power shall be stored within the city or its port.
- No research furthering nuclear weapons development shall be conducted within the city, subject to rights guaranteed under the First Amendment to the United States Constitution.
- The Mayor and Council of the City of Jersey City shall request the United States Department of Transportation and the New Jersey Department of Transportation to provide the city with advance notification of any radioactive waste shipment through the city limits. Upon such notification, the Mayor and Council shall act to prevent transportation of radioactive waste through the city by seeking an exemption from preemption by Department of Transportation regulations or using other legal means at their disposal.
- The Mayor and Council of the City of Jersey City shall not do business with or award any municipal contract to any person, firm or organization engaged in the production of nuclear weapons.
- Nothing in this chapter shall be construed to prohibit or regulate in any manner the research, development and application of nuclear medicine or the use of fissionable materials for smoke detectors, light-emitting timepieces and other applications, the principal purposes of which are unrelated to the development or fabrication of nuclear weapons.
225-2. – Zone established.
The City of Jersey City shall be established as a Nuclear-Free Zone.