For most people, Treaty Alignment is pretty simple. It means:
- You are not employed by any of the companies that make nuclear weapons.
- You do not have personal investments in any of them.
- You will not buy any of their products in future.
If you are unsure about any of this, you may want to look into what is prohibited by the Nuclear Ban Treaty and look at the list of companies who are implicated in the nuclear weapons business before deciding to go through the 3 steps to Treaty Alignment:
- DECIDE yourself to align with the Treaty and, so far as you are able, having nothing further to do with nuclear weapons.
- DISCONNECT. Learn how you may be implicated in any of the companies, nuclear facilities or nuclear weapons bases that are currently violating the Treaty, check your personal investments, if you have any, to see if you are supporting any of these companies with your own money, look at your personal possessions, to see if you are currently buying from any of these companies. Work to disconnect your investments, purchases, and work from the companies making nuclear weapons.
- DECLARE your decision to be Treaty Aligned, by writing to the relevant companies and/or financial institutions informing them of your decision to divest, boycott or avoid these companies until they remove themselves from the nuclear business. Announce when you have done what you can to disconnect from the nuclear weapons industry and declare that you are aligned with the Treaty. Share what you have done with family, friends, neighbors, colleagues and the rest of the world!
Once you yourself have become Treaty Aligned we invite you to take it to the next level – help get your bank, your workplace, your faith community, your city or town, or any other organizations you may be connected with to become Treaty Aligned.